French lessons and language tools from Laura K. Lawless
Lawless French » Expressions
||right away, at once, immediately, straightaway
||all in a row
|| [too d(eu) sweet]
|| || [tu d(ə) swit]
Usage notes: Tout de suite is one of the most common expressions in the French language, and is just one of several ways to say “right away, immediately.” *
Because the e in de
is instable and therefore often silent, tout de suite
is sometimes misspelled “toute suite” or even, in English, “toot sweet.” **
|Je vais l’appeler tout de suite.
||I’m going to call him right away.
|Il a tout de suite compris.
||He understood immediately.
|On arrive tout de suite.
||We’ll be there in a moment.
Expressions with tout de suite
|à tout de suite
||I’ll see / talk to you in a minute
|bientôt mais pas tout de suite
||soon but not too soon, “soonish”
|Ce n’est pas pour tout de suite.
||It won’t happen overnight / right away.
|Je m’occupe de vous tout de suite.
||I’ll be right with you, I’ll be with you in a moment.
|Mettons cela au clair tout de suite.
||Let’s get that straight right now.
|mettre tout de suite (qqun) dans le bain
||to throw (someone) in the deep end
|pas tout de suite
||there’s no rush, not just yet
|prendre tout de suite (qqun/qqch) en grippe
||to take an instant dislike to (someone/something)
* Synonyms for tout de suite
- aussitôt – right away, immediately
- aussitôt que possible – as soon as possible
- bientôt – soon
- dès que possible – as soon as possible
- immédiatement – immediately
- prochainement – soon, shortly
- sans délai – right away, in short order
- sur-le-champNew écarlatenoir Quincy Quincy 11 Rouge Balance Hommes 254 rouge 354LRjA – on the spot, immediately
- tout à l’heure – in a moment (as well as "a moment ago")
** Another expression that was deformed when imported into English is "san fairy ann," from ça ne fait rien.
- Telling time
- Silent letters
- 6 garbled French expressions
French proficiency test by
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
|Stay up to date with Lawless French!
Get help on the forum.
More Lawless French
Subscribe to my twice-weekly newsletter.
Support Lawless French
This free website is created with love and a great deal of work.
If you love it, please consider making a one-time or monthly donation.
Your support is entirely optional but tremendously appreciated.
Comments or questions about this page? Cancel reply
- FAQNew écarlatenoir Quincy Quincy 11 Rouge Balance Hommes 254 rouge 354LRjA
- Mot du jour
- Progress w/ Lawless French
- Support Lawless French
- Verb Conjugations
Post was not sent - check your email addresses!
Email check failed, please try again
Sorry, your blog cannot share posts by email.